Parents.com Announces Best Family Cars of 2012
Parents.com and Edmunds.com have announced their selections for the Best Family Cars of 2012. In making their selections, editors considered safety (all vehicles selected are equipped with antilock brakes, electronic stability control, and a minimum of six air bags; most are Insurance Institute for Highway Safety TOP SAFETY PICKS), fuel economy, kid-friendly features, and overall value.
Three Honda models made the list, including the Civic Hybrid, CR-V, and Odyssey. Here are the categories in which each Honda vehicle was selected, editors’ comments about it, and a list of editors’ favorite features.
High-Mileage Cars: Honda Civic Hybrid
· Editors’ Comments: ‘The redesigned Civic Hybrid is a pleasure to drive and is sleek inside and out. A cool digital readout lets you display mileage, speed, radio stations. And the loaded version, with on-board navigation and leather seats, clocks in at under $27,000, making it among the most affordable full-feature hybrids.”
· Favorite Features: Standard steering-wheel audio controls, IIHS TOP SAEFTY PICK designation, standard USB jack, standard Bluetooth® capability, 5-passenger capacity, 2-car seat capacity.
Crossovers : Honda CR-V
· Editors’ Comments: “The cabin of this redesigned crossover is reminiscent of a minivan, with a slew of cup holders and a gear shifter situated on the dashboard. Standard features include a backup camera, a rear armrest to keep warring siblings apart, and rear seats that fold flat with a single touch. Fortunately, two things that didn’t change are the CR-V’s carlike feel and superb handling.”
· Favorite Features: Standard steering-wheel audio controls, all-wheel-drive availability, IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK designation, standard USB jack, standard Bluetooth capability, 5-passenger capacity, 2-car-seat-capacity.
Large Vehicles: Honda Odyssey
· Editors’ Comments: “You’d expect a stable ride from a vehicle of this heft, but the Odyssey somehow manages the corner like a midsize car. It has endless storage compartments and second-row captain’s chairs that slide forward (to get closer to you) and sideways (to put extra real estate between siblings or make room for three car seats in the row). An optional middle seat in the second row transforms into a cool beverage and snack tray when no one’s using it. You can stow the third-row seats with a simple tug, yielding room for a weeklong summer vacay – and then some.”
· Favorite Features: Available power tailgate, IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK designation, available rearview camera, 8-passenger capacity, 5-car-seat capacity.